Friday, March 20, 2009

That's Impermanence For Ya

At one time, data loss was a big fear of mine... really up there. At least Top 10.

From computer to computer, I'd port data from one system to the next such that I actually had "important" (for whatever reason, sentimental no doubt) files from a decade ago, likes papers for my freshman lit class in high school or AIM chats from middle school on my most recent system (10 years later!). My computer went from a game & work machine to a dedicated time capsule. A living archive. No joke, I called my C:/ "The 'Chives".

Then one day, I wiped my hard drive. Not an accident. Full intent. And you know what? It felt good.

Sure, there were some fairly critical losses - all of the RAW image files from my pictures and the folder with my arsenal of animated .gifs, but I've stumbled upon this opportunity to start fresh. Tabula rasa.

If I can translate this into the life I can touch, taste, smell, hear, and and see, I think I'll be in great shape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you did this. I am such a backup-phile, I keep everything I can. I applaud the effort to clean up your space on the harddrive, I do not have the bravery to do it!